Monday, June 27, 2011

Swim Star Go For London 2012 Olympics Gold


SWIM ace Rebecca Adlington has found love again – and reckons it will spur her on to new success in next year’s London Olympics.

The 22-year-old, who struck gold in the 400 and 800m freestyle at Beijing in 2008, has been single since she split from ex-boyfriend Andy Mayor three years ago.

Now she is dating fellow swimmer Harry Needs, 19, and says having an understanding partner has boosted her preparations.

She said: “I do have a boyfriend at the minute, we’ve been together about two or three months now. It just happened, you can’t really control those things.

“He’s a swimmer as well, so it’s worked out perfect - he understands the focus and sacrifices I have to make.

“He’s just like me, he’s really driven so we go to bed pretty early and rest at the weekends - we’re not going out or doing anything like that so it’s nice to have someone who understands.

“I was with my ex Andy at the last Olympics but that ended around 2009, so this is really my first proper relationship since then and it’s going really well.”

Harry also competes with the Nova Centurion swimming club in the Midlands where Rebecca honed her remarkable talent.

After her remarkable Olympic success, she was awarded an OBE in recognition of her achievements and even had a pub named after her in her native Mansfield, Notts.

Now, she is in training for next month’s World Championships in Shanghai, China, and is feeling confident.


She said: “I’m feeling prepared - I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a lot of hard work, but I feel ready.

“I’ve only been to China once before and it went pretty well, so I’m hopeful it’s a lucky charm for me.”

But she modestly admits her only goal for London 2012 just now is simply to qualify - and only then will she think about defending her titles.

“Of course I’m excited about London 2012 - but still nervous as well”, she adds.

“To qualify is such a difficult thing, you have to come top two in qualifiers and get a certain time.

“With the amount of depth in quality in British swimming, it’s extremely hard to come top two but I’m just excited - I think it’s a great opportunity for the country and for the sport regardless of whether I go.

“Right now, my dream is just to go to London 2012. If I qualify, obviously I will have a new goal - that will be a different story I’m sure.”

And as her training increases ahead of next year’s Games, Rebecca says she knows the importance of enjoying the odd sweet treat.

“I’m pretty controlled when it comes to my diet, but I’m not strict - I do treat myself. It’s more about making sure you get what you need”, she explains.

“But chocolate is my weakness - and cake too. And, of course, shoes.”

Despite the gruelling nature of competing at the highest level, Rebecca happily admits she always like to look her best when she gets in the pool.

“I always do my nails - I love doing my hands”, she laughs.

“At the Commonwealth Games, I did the white and red flag thing - it’s just something a bit girly and a bit different to do really.

“A lot of the times when you go abroad to compete, you’re just sat in your room and there’s no British TV so you get a bit bored, and so I like to do my nails or whatever.

“I don’t tend to do my make-up, but that’s because I’m just going to get in the water and it’ll come straight off - but I always like to have my nails done.”

Rebecca also believes that the Olympics will bring a positive boost to the country, which will be invaluable for athletes competing.

“British people do have a tendency to be quite negative - we love a loser - but I think the Olympics will be really different and there won’t be that much negativity”, she says.

“Everyone will get caught up in the atmosphere and I think it will be great to have that because it’s the positivity that we all need.


“It was so nice during the Royal wedding to see something so nice and so happy in the news, and I think the Olympics will give us something similar.”

Rebecca Adlington is a Speedo Ambassador.